I’ll have Bangers and Mash!
Don’t you love the name of this dish? It’s classic English pub food at its best. And these days you can ramp it up to new levels, using different vegetables with your mash (for example turnip, sweet potato) providing that you choose your ingredients carefully. I braised the sausages and caramelized the onions using only one pan. If you check out my video on braising you will note that this is a must-know technique that can be used with so many different ingredients, it will enable you to unleash your creativity. Now feeding fussy eaters is challenging but this dish may be a great starting point. If you are struggling why not have a chat with me?
You will need good quality sausages such as Toulouse, or Chipolatas, preferably from a butcher or a deli!
Gluten-free: check your sausages are
Vegetarian-adaptable: use veg/tofu sausages
BLW adaptable: cut to sizeable chunks, cook to softness, avoid tiny herbs cuts
Preparation: 10min, Cooking: 30mins
- Quality sausages: 400g-600g
- Potatoes for mash (options to include turnip, parsnip or sweet potato): 1kg, cut in chunks
- Onion Red: 2 fienly sliced
- Sugar; 1 tsp heaped.
- Balsamic Vinegar: 2 tbsp
- Olive oil: as needed
- Parsley: a few sprigs, finely sliced.
- Broccoli, a few heads cut as snow-like fro sprinkling.
- Butter Optional
Let’s do it:
- Bake the potato chunks at 180C in the oven.
- In a large pot or pan, place onion, olive oil, bay leaf, thyme and sausages and cook over medium heat, until sausages are slightly coloured and onion is softened.
- Remove the sausages to a side plate.
- Add the sugar to the onion and cook a further 10 mins to caramelise them at slow heat.
- Deglaze with balsamic vinegar and cook 3 minutes. Move the onion to a side dish.
- Return the sausages to the pan and cover them with a cup of stock. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 15min.
- Meanwhile, remove the potatoes for the oven if tender. Mash and add optional butter or a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the mash, with the sausages, and the onions, sprinkle parsley and optional broccoli snow.
#familydinner #familyfood #easydinner #meat #Glutenfree