The weather allows for cooking comforting foods. Don’t you think?
As usual though I am looking to pack this meal with veggies and make it as complete a meal as possible.
You will need a large pot that fits in your oven
- Lamb shanks: 2 or 4 depending on your family
- Couscous: 200g cooked as per instructions
- Chickpeas: 1 tin
- Tomatoes: 2-4
- Pumpkin: 400g, chopped, the pumpkin can be roasted in the oven and added to the dish towards the end.
- Onion: 1 red
- Garlic: 2cloves
- Cumin: 1tsp
- Smoked paprika: 1tsp
- Ginger: 1 tsp
- Saffron: optional
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Vegetable or beef stock: 2cups
- Chopped coriander
Let’s do it:
- Place the cumin and smoked paprika in a bowl with the shanks. Mix to cover the meat. Store in the fridge (the longer the better).
- Place onion, tomatoes, ginger, pumpkin -or roast- optional saffron and olive oil in the pot.
- Cook for a few minutes to bring out flavours.
- Add the meat and cook on all sides.
- Add the chickpeas
- Cover with 2 cups of stocks
- Cook in the oven at 150C. for 1.5h to 3hrs (the longer the better)
- Serve with chopped coriander and couscous