Did you know that pulses belong to the legumes family? They are basically dry legumes. I regularly cook pulses, they are part of our family eating habits. What about you, do you include them?
Here I am using pulses with cereals to enable this dish to deliver good protein.
Interestingly enough you can now buy mixes that are prepared in such a way they can be cooked at the same time, (mckenzies lentils, dried beans and frekeeh), check your pulses section at the supermarket. Alternatively you can use tinned beans of choice and cook lentils or/and other grains/pulses together.
Gluten free adaptable: replace frekeeh with quinoa or buckwheat.
Baby led weaning: serve sizeable chunks of well cooked veggies
Grains are a bit tiny, time consuming for finger eating and also not very well digested early on, so you can replace with soft bread.
Preparation: 10min. Cooking: 25min
- Pulses and grain mix: 200g
- Zucchini: (about 500g) 2 cut in half
- Eggplant: 1 cut in half, and scared through the flesh
- Thyme: several sprigs
- Capsicum: 1 cut and half and deseeded
- Olive oil: 3 tbps
- 1tsp of salt
- Goat cheese, optional (not pictured but it turns out to bring this dish to a new dimension!).
Let’s do it:
- Brush salt on fleshy side of eggplant and place aside for 1/2h, to bring water out.
- Place capsicum in oven and cook at 180C.
- Cook pulses-grains mix according to instructions. Technically you need to cook the mix in about 600g of boiling water, for about 15min, when tender but not mushy, drain any excess water.
- Brush zucchinis with olive oil.
- With both hands press eggplant over sink to extract water, brush the rest of the olive oil on the fleshy side.
- In an oven dish place the sprigs of thyme and position eggplant and zucchinis on top of them (flesh down).
- Remove capsicum, when cooked, peel, deseed and slice finely.
- Remove eggplant and zucchinis when tender and slice.
- Add to mix and optional cheese
- Check seasoning and serve.
#zucchini #grains #cereals #frekeeh #aubergine #eggplant #capsicum #Glutenfreeadaptable #BLW