Brussels sprouts suffer from a terrible yet unfair reputation that is based on misunderstanding them: when steamed or boiled they often stink and become soggy. With 9g/100g of carbohydrates Brussels Sprouts have what it takes to caramelise nicely, and there lies the secret of a successful cooking relationship, you can start today with these lovelies.
You will need 1 ovenproof dish
Preparation: 15min, Cooking time: 20min
- Brussels sprouts, halved, 100g
- Chickpeas: 1 tin, drained.
- Sweet potatoes: cut in wedges, 300g
- Balsamic vinegar: 2tbps
- Parmesan: grated 20g (optional)
- Olive oil: 4 Tbsp
Let’s do it:
- Place the chickpeas, as they come in the ovenproof dish and place in the oven 15mins at 200C.
- In the meantime prepare the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts.
- Toss them in olive oil (3tbps) and balsamic vinegar. Season.
- The chickpeas can be taken out of the oven and kept aside. Sprinkle with parmesan (optional).
- Re-use the dish to cook the veggies in the oven, reduce heat to 180C.
- Once the veggies are ready, the potatoes are soft and the Brussels Sprouts are coloured and softer, mix with the crunchy chickpeas.
- Mix well to coat the chickpeas.
- Serve at once.