Have you tried barley other than in a soup?
Barley can be cooked risotto or pilau style. It’s a very satisfying grain, that’s nutty, soft and chewy at the same time!
It takes longer to cook than rice, but pilau style (add all your stock at once) it can cook without requiring much supervision.
Make it colourful and interesting with vegetables and good quality stock.
You will need a large pot.
Preparation: 10mins, Cooking: 40mins
Ingredients for 4:
- Barley: 150g
- Fennel: 1 small chopped
- Carrots: 300g sliced
- Tomatoes: 2 quartered
- Onion: 1
- Broad beans: frozen 50g, place in a bowl & pour hot water on top.
- Butter: 10g
- Wine: 1 glass
- Olive oil: 2tbs
- Thyme: 1 sprig
- Stock of choice: 400ml
- Grated parmesan to taste.
- Salt, pepper to taste.
- in the pot place olive oil, thyme sprig, onion and cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add fennel, carrots, tomatoes and cook a further 5min
- Increase heat, add barley, and stir well to coat,
- Add wine, and stir for 2 min
- Add stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer
- Peel broad beans and keep aside.
- When barley is cooked, al dente, add butter and broad beans to heat.
- Serve with parmesan.