Chops are a kids’ favourite, so we used some to make this family meal wholesome with plenty of grilled veggies and a chickpea base.
Adaptation for coeliac: use polenta for crumbing, check mustard which normally is gluten-free.
Preparation: 15 min. Cooking: 20min
You will need a large griddle pan or access to a barbecue for the meat and veggies. You will need a pan for the chickpeas.
- Lamb chops :4 (or more depending on your appetite)
- Cauliflower: 1 medium, cut in 1cm slices across the length (easier to grill)
- Broccoli: 1, cut as above
- Chickpeas: 1 tin, drained
- Tomato passata: 2-3 tbsp
- Mustard: french: 2 tbsp
- Bread Crumb: 30g on a plate (use polenta for Coeliac)
- Olive oil: 3 tbsp
- Onion:1 red, sliced finely
- Lemon, zest and juiced.
- Garlic: 2 cloves, crushed
- Parsley: a few sprigs chopped finely
- Brush cauliflower and broccoli with olive oil.
- Season lamb chops with salt and pepper (optional) with a teaspoon paste them with mustard, then passata and crumb them one by one.
- Place them on a hot griddle or barbecue, making sure they cook evenly without burning (chops need quite some time to cook so keep an eye, whilst getting on with your other jobs).
- In the meantime, place 1/2 lemon juice and zest in a pan with onion and garlic, stir on medium heat for 2-3 min.
- Add 100ml of water (and a half teaspoon of olive if you wish, we have limited the amount of oil here to balance the oily sensation from the meat and veggies) and add chickpeas.
- Season and heat up, the water will evaporate, keep warm.
- Chargrill cauliflower and broccolis slices on the griddle , (you may need to push aside the chops) grill on each side until coloured but not burnt. Set aside as you go, by placing cooked items on top of warmed up chickpeas.
- Once the chops and veggies are ready, sprinkle with parsley, taste for seasoning or lemon balance, and serve on top of chickpeas.