9yo Lana and I, were keen enough to cook a second dish the other day. Would you say we were ambitious to go for a soufflé? Well, the 2 of us were on a roll!
Remember to involve your child, it’s fun, fast & worth it.
Now if ‘soufflé’ sounds a bit pompous to you, take it easy: our recipe is seriously simple and our dish somewhat rustic! Also because this dish is wholesome you don’t need to cook anything else. Serve with a side salad (raw veggies) and some fruit! Done!
Gluten-free adaptable: use chickpea flour
Vegetarian adaptable: replace bacon with tempeh or choice
BLW: Cut to sizeable chunks, cook to softness
And if your little helper is around, it will be so much fun!
Here Lana is washing the zucchinis, she also measured quantities, beat the eggs and made the white sauce (béchamel).
You will need :
An oven dish that’s got a bit of height (typical soufflé dish), buttered of course.
for 4 persons
Preparation time: 15min. Cooking time: 10min zucchini and white sauce (butter, nutmeg, flour, milk), soufflé: 25min at 180C,
- Zucchini: 2 medium, sliced (700g)
- Bacon: 200g cubed
- Eggs: 3 large at room temperature
- Garlic: 1 clove crushed
- Flour: 30g
- Butter: 30g (5g for your oven dish)
- Milk: 150ml
- Olive oil: 2tsp
- Cheese: (grated Emmental, mozzarella or parmesan)
- Pinch of grated Nutmeg
- Seasoning of choice
- Cook the zucchini in olive oil, garlic, on medium to low heat, until very soft. Season to taste.
- Process in a blender to get a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, melt the butter gently. Away from the heat, add the flour and nutmeg in one go, and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on low heat until it bubbles, then add the milk, stir well.
- Bring to the boil, mix well, season and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Add the yolks, cheese and bacon and white sauce to the pureed zucchini. Mix well.
- Beat the egg whites.
- All you need to do now is incorporate your egg whites to your mixture. At this stage, you need a spatula, and you need to work delicately.
- Pour into your oven dish. Place on bottom rack and cook for about 25 min at 180C, check for some firmness with a knife, make sure you have a nicely coloured souffle.
- Your dish is ready, serve at once.
#wholesome #familycooking #familydinners #kids #fussyeaters #pickyeaters #BLW #Glutenfreeadaptable #Vegetarianadaptable