This is an ideal family dish, a French favourite my grandmother used to cook, smaller members can get cut, mashed or pureed portions. It takes about 1 hour from preparation to serving time.
Here I used cubed quality ham, you know the type that does not look like plastic (use tin lentils or chickpeas + stock cube for a vegetarian version).
BLW adaptable (replace ham with tofu or beans…)
- cut to the right size (chunks that can be held) and cook sufficiently for the food to melt in mouth.
- Remove pumpkin skin
- Ham slices can be given in thin strips.
For 4 , you will need a large pot or pan with a thick bottom.
- Cubed ham (200g) or lentils/chickpeas (1 tin)
- Cubed potatoes (200g)
- Cubed butternut pumpkin (150g)
- Julienned carrots (150g)
- Chopped onion (1 medium)
- Peas (150g)
- Cubed zucchinis (1 or 2 medium)
- Olive oil (3 Tbsp)
- Thyme (2 sprigs)
Let’s do it:
- In a large pot pour olive oil and add all the ingredients except peas and zucchinis. Sweat for about 15-20 mins, on medium to slow heat.
- Add water to cover food to 2/3 rd, bring to simmer and cover partly with a lid, reduce heat to slow.Within 20mins vegetables should almost be cooked through.
- At this stage add peas and chopped zucchinis, cook a further 10 mins, on medium to slow heat.
- Other greens could be added towards the end of cooking such as spinach, broccolis etc.
- Season to taste.
Tips : this dish can be made into a soup, add more water, pureed, and add a TBSP of fresh cream, serve with chopped parsley.